First off let's make sure everyone knows how to say Samite's name. Most white people slaughter it which has become a running joke between Samite and me but I would like all of you reading this to be saying it correctly in your mind. It's Sam - E - Tay. Not Saaw - Mee - Tay.
This past long weekend (Thursday -Saturday) I was kid free and got to go to 2, count them, 2 Samite concerts! How lucky am I?
I met Samite and his family while Roland was at Cornell. The RS President asked that I go over and clean their house. Samite's wife, Joan, (her name is pronounced JoAnn) had been diagnosed with a brain tumor and Samite along with his family had taken on full time care of her. So being the Relief Society we decided to provide some relief. I came away with a greater blessing then I ever provided for them.
Words cannot express the love that I have for this family and the pure love of Christ that was ever present in that home. Samite put his career on hold to care for his sweetheart. Joan's daughter, Ana, put her schooling on hold to care for her mother. One by one, I met Joan's children as they came home. Samite wrote beautiful music to express his love and sorrow. They let me into their lives at such a tender time and I witnessed the veil slowly thin as they helped their loved one move on to live with our Father again.
Samite and his family gave me an experience that I will treasure for the rest of my life. I look forward to talking with Joan and getting to know the woman that her family tells me about, but I never had the opportunity to talk to before the tumor took her speech.
I'm grateful that I was able to spend time last weekend catching up with my dear friend, listening to great music and remembering such a meaningful time in my life.
Mirembe, Samite!


3 comments:
What a sweet (and sad) story. It's truly amazing how service to others can enrich and bless our lives.
This is a lovely post, Gen.
I hope to meet him someday!
Post a Comment