This past weekend was a harsh one for my ego. I don't know that I'll ever recover.
It started with Roland's work Christmas party. I know, joy, joy, joy! Ugh, work Christmas parties are the worst! Second only to high school reunions. What spouse wants to go? This year sounded like it might be a better set up so I headed into it with, well, not complete dread.
His company had rented out the whole resort and novel idea, there was childcare. Whoohoo! The party didn't start until 7:30 and me being the responsible Mom thought, "Sweet, not much time between party start time and the kids bedtime". Think about it! An hour and a half tops? One if I'm really suffering? At this point I'm feeling pretty good about the whole situation.
Roland got the kids squared away in the kids room then came back up to our room were we read for awhile then got ready for the party. I wanted to check in on the kids and make sure this childcare situation was kosher so we popped our heads in.
The little boy sitting next to Aaron asked me repeatedly and very loudly if I was Aaron's grandma. Made me wonder if what I had decided to wear was severely matronly. Or, if wearing my hair curly makes me look ancient. I was feeling really great about walking into the party at this point.
Next ego hit came when the girlfriend of one of Roland's co-workers called me Mrs. Springer. I wanted to hit her. I have what 5 years on her? OK, maybe more like 10 but still! Mrs? Really?
Then, and here is the clincher, the next morning we go to IHOP for Breakfast. They gave the kids the place mats with activities and one was a fill in the story with random words. You know the ones. I never liked them, now I have a severe hatred towards them.
Anyway, one of the words to fill in was 'hair color'. Aaron looks at me for 10 seconds then tells his Dad "Gray". I started to cry. Roland busted a gut. But, then his shin started hurting.
So, I'm Mrs. Grandma Gray Hair.
Bad weekend. Really, really bad....
Hello world!
2 years ago


7 comments:
Oh my!I'm so sorry you had such a bad weekend. I love you! Daniel's been walking around saying "You're fat Mommy.", all the time. I'm not, just like you aren't gray, but your ego sure does take a blow.
Your hair doesn't look gray at all. I suppose it can be a hit to your ego that your kid doesn't recognize colors :-)
Also, she only called you Mrs. Springer because she forgot your first name and she was trying to cover. No age implied, except maybe hers because she's losing her memory.
Let's see, ego boost: I just had my 29th Birthday and when i met you I thought you and I were the same age or at least pretty close in age. Plus you are smart, beautiful and absolutely the most wonderful friend someone could ask for.
I would like to point out that males notoriously have no idea what colors are-- their palettes consist of about 12 basic colors.
I agree with everything Jill said. You are awesome and definitely not a grandma. :) And, for sure, your hair isn't gray! Love ya!
As always, your blog is a joy to read. Love all the pictures. Sorry about the bummer weekend though. You are a beautiful and talented mother of 2 very cute boys. Tell yourself you're wonderful and fabulous.
If it makes you feel any better - I don't think you have grey hair at all! I'm sorry it was a rough weekend though... I remember a few years ago when I found my first actual grey hair, it was very depressing. :(
Oh Gen! It has been ages since I read blogs, but I loved reading yours. I always think that it's a good thing each day only has 24 hours, because if it's good, we can keep that awesome chunk of good in our minds. and if it's not, well, we can move on to the next hopefully awesome filled chunk! : ) To a great, young, sassy, fun, creative, good friend, much love!
Post a Comment