Friday, August 6, 2010

5 Minutes = 2 Hours

We took our semi-annual trip to the pick your own orchard last week.  We filled the car up to the brim with friends and headed out.  Peaches are always a big hit and we also came home with a hand full of blackberries, even though we were in the patch for half an hour.  I really think the orchard should start weighing kids, and adults, before they head into the fields.

No trip is complete without a stop at the town market for pulled pork sandwiches that we eat by the river.  It was such a nice day that I didn't object when Aaron went into the water.  Neither did any of the other moms.  We were happy to sit on rocks and tree roots and let our children be children.  I gave a 5 minute warning that somehow turned into 2 hours.  So what if we missed naps?  So what if all the boys had to ride home in diapers or undies?  These kids had a great time doing what they do best.  The Mom's were happy to let the kids explore for a few hours and put aside all the things at home waiting to be done.  For a moment all was right in our world.  Our kids were happy, we had a cool breeze and good friends to chat with.  How I wish everyday could be so perfect.
Peter and his new BF watching the older kids.
Huck Aaron
Peter before his new BF pushed him into the water.  Even that didn't break the good mood.
Both kids with dirty rears.  Isn't that the good life for a little boy?

4 comments:

JillEE said...

This is so cute. I've been reading a blog called Free Range Kids, which basically talks about how we don't give kids enough chances to be kids and explore and get dirty. So good job letting your boys learn some independence.

Disco Mom said...

awesome, what a perfect day. i feel so satisfied when i let things go and just be a mom and let my kids just be kids. and i love blog posts that remind me to do it more often :)

The Petersen Family said...

Man I wish we had been there to join you! Miss you guys!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

awww... you're such a good mom!