I had a conversation yesterday with a friend about blogging. She doesn't have one at the moment and is contemplating the idea. She was a guest blogger on our church blog, and may I say she did a mighty fine job. The comment section on the church blog is turned off so she won't get much feedback about her post.
We talked about how it was to put effort into writing something, putting it out there, and then... nothing. It can be a let down after working hard to get your words right, try to be funny but not offend, don't give too much info so you keep your family safe, make sure your tenses and punctuation are correct (which I'm bad at), etc..
I think if I took the time to read a post that someone took the time to write I should let them know I was there. I try to comment when I have time, which sometimes doesn't work when a 2 year old needs attention. Often, it just one sentence but still the writer knows SOMEONE read it. I'm often told in person that someone is reading my blog which is also nice. I've even been told I've been blog stalked. Good thing she's not a scary stalker!
So, Dear 6 readers, what is your take on comments?
Hello world!
2 years ago


15 comments:
I agree! I normally comment on all of the 30 blogs I follow. But sometimes I feel too lazy and such. The thing is, I feel "unread" when people don't comment on my blog! But then sometimes I don't comment on others! Yeah, not sure.
Well, technically now that I'm out of hiding I am no longer a blog stalker. I don't comment on every site I read (that would probably take me all day, unless I had a generic comment-of-the-day).
I love comments on my blog, and I even beg for them sometimes. However I also have Google Analytics on my blog, so I can actually see how many people come to my blog. I use feedburner to see how many people subscribe. So even when people don't comment, I know that someone is reading what I write.
I agree -- it's great to get some feedback and I love to get comments from all 6 of our readers, too. I confess I also stalk several blogs of people I don't know and have never, ever commented on their posts. Blogging is really a fascinating cultural phenomenon.
Hey Genevive! Hope you guys are doing great. Sorry about your ankle, that can really mess up training for a race. I hope it feels better. You have a great voice on your blog, fun to ready.
Take Care!
i sometimes have good intentions about commenting (i'll mark the post as "unread" in Google Reader so i can remember to go back later and comment), but i don't typically use the comment feature to let the person know i've read it/what i think.
instead, i Share it on Google Reader or Buzz and make comments there, and try to get a conversation going with the other people who follow my Shared Items/Buzz feed.
I love to comment on blogs. The church one, though, could open a can of worms... it's a little different than a personal blog. It requires a little more finessing and care than the average, fun, personal blog. That's my 2 cents, and, yes, I'll continue to comment on others' blogs when I feel like it or have time. :)
Thank you Genevieve for always having a great commentary!:). Inspiring!
Definitely love comments!! I haven't been reading blogs lately, but when I do, I try to always comment because I know how much I enjoy them.
hi genevieve!
Alex-really, you read 30 blogs? How do you find the time?
J&JE-No comprendo. I didn't understand all the techno talk. I really need a tutorial.
Joe/Denny-I'd love to see what blogs you stalk. They have to be funny.
Heather-I hear you on the can of worms.
T,A,J &E -Thanks for taking the time to comment!
I like reading comments on other people's blogs. For example I've read all ten comments for this entry, and I'll probably check again to see if someone else had weighed in. Comments make blogging worthwhile. I've even looked at a few stranger blogs. People should comment, it keeps us all connected.
i just found your blog through tab's. hooray! and i TOTALLY agree with putting comments on blogs. it adds so much validation!
Yeah it drives me nuts when family is like "why haven't you blogged lately? We love your blog" Really? You do? Odd because you HAVE NEVER COMMENTED ON IT!!! Forgive my rage on this subject haa! If I have any sort of response at all to a post I try to comment. I mean why not. I feel like we have remained much closer friends because of being able to see each others blogs and comments. This is fabulous, why not stay close to friends? Its like being able to talk without the phone bill or time constraint. Its easy and fun so why not do it?
you definitely have more than 6 readers! i catch up on blogs about once every 3 months, looks like. so I try to comment on at least one of the 20 posts i've read while catching up. i need to get my priorities in better order! mom, wife, blogging, school... that should work!! :o)
I agree! And I clearly don't comment enough on your blog! I barely get my own written. But that said - I do enjoy reading yours and will be better at sharing my thoughts!
Post a Comment